I suspect the SYMC will be on quite a number of blogs tonight since it is an -quote- inaugral -unquote- event. I'll just put mine up on the list of googled searches.
So after a very eventful morning where I find everything wrong with my body system and then I have my monthly ritual of rolling around in bed for a full hour cursing and swearing at my ovaries and at the scientists who can't bloody find an ailment to get rid of menstrual cramps for ever and at everybloodybody in the world, I managed to climb out of bed, get a cab, pick Mainee up and fork out 20 good hard earned dollars just to get to school by 0815.
First and foremost though, before I start ranting and raving ala One Angry Beaver [see Catalog], I have to admit that it was a very well-organised programme- even though the entire thing stretched for a bloody day, it didn't felt shorter than
a Media Research + Media Management stretch of lectures. So, I take my Swarovski-lined Fedora hat off for the organising committee. Job well done, aight!
Now. Moving on to the funner part.
Let's begin with the second parallel discussion I attended. The second speaker, Masturah Ismail addressed the Blog issue. And of course, as expected during a discussion, the audience were given a chance to speak up. I was appalled by a Mass Comm Year 1 student who raised the issue of the increase of bloggers and how there are much [what
un-poised and professional people would call] bitching on blogs. The student asked whether there should be regulations to curb these bitching and whatnots on blogs.
I CANNOT FUCKING BELIEVE SOMEONE CAN EVEN THINK TO SAY SOMETHING LIKE THAT.
First of all, Singaporeans, youth, media, mass comm students are
ALWAYS complaining that we are restricted by MDA's regulations and the government's restrictions yaddayaddayadda and FINALLY,
FINALLY after SO LONG, there is a new medium, a new avenue that allows you to voice what you think, voice what you want to say, voice what that fucked up teenybopper brain of yours got to say and
YOU ASK FOR FUCKING REGULATIONS??!!!
YOU ASK FOR REGULATIONS?!
What in the name of bloody fuck is wrong with people? Are people just asking questions for the sake of asking questions? Is it now COOL within the freshmen to come out and ask questions?! I'm appalled, lah.
And then someone raises the issue of flaming. Or hate tags. Whatever you call it, you probably know I'm familiar with it. The thing is, like I mentioned when I went up to actually say something before I explode in my seat, if you want freedom of expression, you gotta give freedom of expression. Like what Phin said when I was talking to him about the impending doom the media industry is facing with these students interested in it, "You can't expect freedom of speech and tell everybody else to shut the fuck up."
For God's sake, that's like the government!
Take my blog for example. Constant flow of hate tags [I wont be surprised if I do get some after this]. Honestly, I don't mind hate tags. Tell me you hate the fact that I think there shouldnt be regulations imposed on blogs, tell me you hate the fact that my emotional mindwarp blogs are so fucking hard to understand because they screw with your brains. I like feedback, I like brutal, straightforward, honest criticism about the content of my blog.
What I don't like, no, what I despise are personal attacks. Honestly, as a writer, I don't care if you think I'm a black bitch who shouldn't be allowed to walk on the surface of God's good earth because I "ruined [your] life in mass comm".
[Diverting a tad, I mean seriously, you know how amazing that made me feel. I have that imcredible POWER to ruin someone's life. I
looove power as much as I love money, dammit.]
Also, people should actually LISTEN before they ask questions. There was this Year 1 TP CMM half ang moh chick [who spoke with a slang] asked the exact same question that was asked just before her. This had to be pointed out by the panel moderator and she remained adamant about it. I honestly have alot of things against anybody who looks white [no, alisa, you're not included]. It's a prejudice, a stereotype. whatever. I hate whites, the expats/ foreigners I've come acorss think they're better than everybody else in the world. It doesn't help that you ask a stupid question in front of a thousand people, dahling. And of course, you've just single handedly pulled TP's CMM course's reputation down the bloody canal that runs behind your school.
Tsk. Tsk.
Mainee just called to say I was on Channel 5 news for like 2 secs, thanks to the conference.
When I told Phin, he said
"Fame, here comes Faz."
=)
I've got tons of things to write for
Catalog Feb by tonight. Tsk. Oh, yes, for those who'd like a constant monthly supply of
Catalog, please let me know so I'll grab a bunch from the office whenever the magazine comes out. So I won't have too little mags or too much to give our most beloved and treasured colony of readers.
toodles.