change is something i don't mind. - frankie
I think people need to take pride in what they're doing.
I know this might seem out of nowhere, but of course, my train of thought doesn't exactly go in a straight line [Pun intended, if you actually noticed my pun there].
People need to take pride in what they're doing and they need to love what they do. I know it's hard when you don't want to do what you're doing and you have no choice but to go through it. Like how much I despised PR last semester - I didn't give no jackshit about consumer, corporate or whatthefuckelse relations there is to that goddamnned subject. As far as I am concerned when I do PR, it's about kissing corporate butt and sucking up to the right motherfuckers.
But I've come to realise that no matter how much I hate something, I have to get through it and while I'm at it, cliched as this may sound, why not give it my best shot. Sure, I'll curse and swear and I'll want to pound the lecturer's face into motherfucken pieces, but the point is, I'll actually be proud of the outcome - not just cos I'll know I'd have done well for it, but also cos' I've done well despite hating it so much.
The thing is, it's either you stick to doing that or you opt to give it up and go for something else. But sometimes, you don't have that luxury of choice. You think that mother of three wants to be stamping your motherfucken passports for 12 hours of her day, five days a week? No, she'd rather be at home with her kids, but she's got no choice when the supposed man's sticking his dick into some whore's ass and leaves the family starving. She's got no choice, honey and if she can make a living stamping the fuck out of thousands of traveller's passports everyday, then I seriously don't see why you should complain.
For many of my peers, ITP had been an awful experience they'd never want to experience again. For others, it's something they never want to leave behind. I went for Kinemat's 6th Anniversary Party at Timberlux Centre and I saw how my friends, Sera, coming from Kinemat and FL.ag, Weifang from Juice, Vee from Chynahouse/ Parking Lot Pimp, are so dedicated, so hardworking and so proud of where they're coming from and I realised how important that was.
So for fuck's sake, stop being humble, stop saying 'Nolah, I'm not.' For fuck's sake, if you think you're good, say you're good. Tell people you're good, hell, tell the world you're good.
It doesn't matter where you're coming from - Catalog, Hype, Kinemat, Juice, Parking Lot Pimp, FL.ag, Chynahouse - the point is, you're there and while you're there, make a fucking difference. While you're there, prove that you're actually worth it. If not to anybody else, prove it to yourself. Because at the end of the day, that really matters.
Don't say you're just writing for a school magazine, or you're just writing for a free press magazine or you're just an intern, or whatever 'justs' you try to make up. Without you, an entire page might not be there. Sure, the editor might get someone else to write it, but it wouldn't be the same. The reader who gets affected by the way you write that 100-word movie preview will not get the same reaction when she reads someone else's preview of the movie, albeit from the same release. She might not cringe, whinge, laugh, roll her eyes or whateverthehell else. My point is - without you, that reader will not get affected the way you could affect him/ her. That is the amazing amazing power of the media you have in your hands.
So what if you're writing a 100-word movie preview about a Korean film about this guy who has a serious case of Goldilocks syndrome, it doesn't matter - someone somewhere out there WILL read it. At the end of the day, you know you've written something and your name is in print. You've done it - for no one else but yourself. It's not about writing for the best people, it's not about being the best, it's not about making it as the top magazine or whatever. If there is something that any media is about, it's about touching people and making a difference. If a medium can't achieve that, it might as well just fuck off and die. That is why I feel very pleased when people come up to me and ask me where to get this and this top in Catalog's latest issue, because I know we've affected people. We've made people want something, we've made a change, albeit frivolous.
For a very long time [ok, not too long, since I'm barely 19], I've been thinking of what I want to do in my life, what life has to offer for me and what I want to make out of this existence. I have contamplated to devoting my life to a cause - to feminism, to children, to religious mysticism, anywhere - in hope of looking for something that will fill that void. But Sera's right - if I want to do something selfless to help myself achieve something, the act is selfless no more.
Tonight, I sit in the darkness of my bedroom with the soft glow of my laptop's screen illuminating my room like the moon shining its soft light onto the blissful night, I have found what will fill a part that void I've been experiencing.
I want to initiate change.
While change is not always a good thing, it's not always bad either. Tonight I feel powerful and fearless. Tonight I'll go to bed smiling, for the first time since so long, because I know there'll be great changes tomorrow.